With a healthy dose of tenacity, compassion, commitment, ingenuity, dedication, integrity, and a love for family and community, Stephanie Thomas brings a wealth of experience to just about any role. A seasoned public sector professional with nearly two decades of service, Stephanie is the embodiment of infectious selflessness. It is no surprise then that this dedicated public servant is ready to fight for her district, making a choice to serve the community in which she was born and raised—and still lives today, in the same house.
A proud Haitian-American whose parents migrated from Haiti in the 1960s, Stephanie recounts her childhood with a palpable fondness. She especially relishes memories of family outings to the historic Gesu Roman Catholic Church and her tenure at Edison Elementary School, Morningside Elementary School, Nautilus Middle School, and Miami Beach Senior High School. An avid learner, Stephanie went on to earn her Associates’s Degree in Pharmacy from Miami-Dade College, a Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management , as well as a Master’s in Health Informatics from Florida International University and a Master’s degrees concentrating in Public Administration from the University of Miami. But she’s not done. A devoted caregiver, and mother of two young adults, Stephanie earned her Doctorate in Health Sciences from the Eastern Virginia Medical School.
It’s little wonder she finds herself eager to use her experiences as a public servant, mother, volunteer, and healthcare professional & enthusiast to serve District 5 and the City of Miami.
Her available service includes:
City of North Miami
• Deputy City Clerk, MMC
• Community Planning & Development
• Business Tax Receipt Manager, CBTO (Finance)
• Constituent Services Coordinator/Confidential Secretary (Mayor & Council)
Affiliations, Memberships & Volunteerism
• Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc, Pi Delta Omega Chapter
• American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) South Florida Chapter
• American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
• Florida Association of Business Tax Officials (FABTO)
• Florida Association of City Clerks (FACC), Chair of the By-Laws/Manual Revisions Committee
• Florida Bar Association Health Law Section
• Florida Bioethics Network (FBN)
• Haitian-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida (HACCOF)
• Health Council of South Florida (HCSF)
• Health Information Management Society (HIMSSS)
• Health Law Section – The Florida Bar
• International Institute of Municipal Clerks (IIMC)
• National Forum for Black Public Administrators (NFBPA), South Florida Chapter, Event Committee Chair
• Pi Alpha Alpha National Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration, UM Chapter
Her late husband Shawn, a double organ recipient, Stephanie makes it her mission to bring awareness to organ donation and counts the following among her chief concerns for her much-loved District 5:
• Affordable Housing
• Bridging socioeconomic gaps
• Climate Control
• Economic Development
• Maternal Mortality
• Safety & Infrastructure
Needless to say, Stephanie draws on her name in her commitment to the community, choosing to STEP in and STEP out to ensure its safety, development, and prosperity.
—Stephanie Thomas, Candidate, City of Miami District 5.
• Eastern Virginia Medical School, Ph.D. – Doctorate of Health Science (DHSc)
• University of Miami, MA, Public Administration
• Florida International University, MS. Health Informatics and Management Systems
• Florida International University, BS, Health Information Management
• Miami-Dade College, AA Pharmacy